The Weaver's Dance

On a loom that whispers, with shuttles that fly
And bobbins that chatter as the hours go by
I'll not lay in one thread of mere chance
As I work in the motion of the weaver's dance.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

One Heart A Day.....

Well, anyway....that is the goal right now. You see, I have so many projects in the works at one time, that I learned years ago to set goals for each day. This has helped in my "job" of working full-time at this craft that I love so much.

This is the current goal list: Measure 1/2 chain for the Hearts in Black, Weave at least 1/2 yard on the Desert Nights Narrow, Thread one heart a day on the Old Structo.



Seems simple enough to me....

I find I do better if I have a daily goal clearly stated in my mind (or out loud) that I know I can reach. It should have some meat to it, you know, not like....okay, today I'll dust off the loooooom. But I am an understanding boss/worker in this weaving studio... So, if something comes along that is irresistible, I can change my list, alter it slightly....quality of life goes on in this place, too, and I've learned to respect that.

So, if I need to get my 10 minutes of sun a day right NOW, I'll do it (and try to work a little faster to make up the time...). If I have an invitation for a bike ride....well, I'm not gonna pass THAT up!



But, I am still goal oriented and that works best for me. It keeps me focused (and a little driven) and gives me a sense of pride when I fulfill the goal for a day (daily endorphin fix!). I was recently asked by a very nice Canadian lady how I handle so many looms and so many projects....well, this is the answer. And the title of this post came to me while I was gloating over the fact that I had just finished the first heart pattern on my Old Structo on which I am threading an 8-Harness Huck Lace Heart.

In my mind I said, "Ta DA....one heart a day..."



Being able to change one's mind in mid-stream is an added path to productivity and the project on the Old Structo is a good example. You see, I had threaded a nice tight little twill on there that was going to be just fine for baby blankets and stoles, and I also had my pure tabby weave to give me MORE variety... 1)  I could weave a combination of twills, 2) I could weave "twill as overshot", 3) I could take that twill apart and weave some vertical patterns with its components, 4) I could weave plain weave with a bunch of sizes of threads and yarns to give lots of textures and colors, while making the blanket heavier or the stole lighter....perfect, right?



It was....well......... booooooorrrrrrrrrrrring!

I "hemmed-and-hawed" for a few days and realized that this was why the Old Structo had been standing still for about a month....it was getting lonely, too. I like to keep all my looms humming along, doing what looms were made to do....I current have my third sofa throw going on Doris, my seventh baby blanket going on Deedle, more of the lovely cotton and linen going on Grace, a small bit of yardage going on Jimmy, weaving off the Desert Daze warp from Stanley, and contract work zipping along on Margaret, as well as weaving Desert Nights Narrow on Arlene and dressing Hazle with the Hearts on Black. BUT, I am sure to meet my daily goals first.



I want to write about my little adventure on the Old Structo, but, when I do, I'll just add it to my page called "The Old Structo". Until then, I'll keep being my own boss (gee she's a good enough ol' girl), keep my goals reachable but challenging and keep sending out Miles and Miles of Smiles....Cat B.



No comments:

Post a Comment