The Weaver's Dance

On a loom that whispers, with shuttles that fly
And bobbins that chatter as the hours go by
I'll not lay in one thread of mere chance
As I work in the motion of the weaver's dance.

Monday, May 19, 2014

You know, sometimes you just have to say something right out loud. What keeps crossing my mind is to be grateful and to notice the good things in life. Sometimes things are not going so well....sometimes we don't feel very good, sometimes we face challenges that remind us how human we are, sometimes family or friends are a source of sadness or distress, intended or not.


Well, here is one of those reminders....yes, even this block of wood is an example gratefulness!

Okay, I was processing handwoven fabrics for separating them and washing them and I have a pretty good system going that, when needed, I can have all set up in about 10 minutes.

As I am ready put each raw fabric edge (not selvedges) through my serger, I gently cut each fabric apart from the huge roll that usually holds 5 separate orders. I begin to cut between the orders which, sometimes if the colors in the cloth are very similar, I'll weave 1 or 2 rows of a contracting color, so I can see clearly where to cut. So, I set one end of the cloth roll on my serger, the other end goes into a holding stand (that I'll show in a later post) so that I don't have to try to hold onto that VERY heavy roll of fabric!

Just past my hand cutting along the "line" to separate 2 fabrics accurately, you might be able to see a "cradle" that I can put the 'serger end' of the cloth roll in, so it won't try to roll around as I unwind each fabric. Do you see it there?  It's made of wood, it's got a flat foot and an upright area that the roll can drop in with sides to hold it...

Well, when I was setting up the equipment needed to accomplish this task, I needed to raise the OTHER end of the cloth roll about 2 inches to make the roll be held horizontally (and I usually use books)....and in walks my master wood worker husband (Jim Hokett of Hokett Would Work) with what was left over from a totally UNrelated job he was doing for me....and guess what!

It was the block of wood that appears at this top of this post!

I quite often say, "The universe will give you exactly what you need, WHEN you need it." And here's yet another example of that.....I could write a BOOK about things that have happened like this just when I was needing them.

Now this is not earth-shattering, nothing seems different, nothing special is happening here.....except being grateful for the little things that happen around us that seem to have the power to encourage us, spur us forward, make your day, make a difference.....little blessings.....

Just be grateful, count your blessings AFTER you count your sorrows....we all have them....

And.....we all have both.

Thinking of you with Miles and Miles of Smiles, Cat B.

No comments:

Post a Comment