The Weaver's Dance

On a loom that whispers, with shuttles that fly
And bobbins that chatter as the hours go by
I'll not lay in one thread of mere chance
As I work in the motion of the weaver's dance.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Hazle is Sighing....

How do I start...Yes, I really mean sighing... Okay, just let me explain...

I have been repeatedly 'reminded' by my loom named Hazle that it's just been TOO darn long since I have woven on the project that she is holding. Every time I would walk past her, the paper I use in the rolling up of the warp swings in the breeze and brushes gently on the floor....and it makes a sound that is exactly like sighing!

It's like the loom is saying, "Here she comes....Here she comes...."
and then I pass her by once again on my way SOME where else in the studio..... "SIGH!"

I haven't written just a whole lot about Hazle...yes, the name is spelled right. She has taken a back seat to all the busy-ness of my hard working studio. I am weaving on yardage on Hazle and it's one of the most intricate, lightest, loveliest cloths I have made.

It's a 12-Harness Bronson Lace that I wrote myself. And, though I am very fond of this light fabric of tencel, rayon and silk, I must say goodbye to it as soon as this warp has run out.....

I call this pattern Squash Blossom and Beetle. The 30/2 weft is the wonderful work on "Just Our Yarn" from whom I bought this hand-dyed thread in their booth at the last Convergence. Here's Just Our Yarn:
http://www.justouryarn.com/   They are awesome and dear ladies.


The joy, the balance, the dance of weaving this delightful cloth will be lost, but, if I really, really miss it, I can thread it up again someday....that's the charm and wonder of weaving. It's an advantage that we weavers have in the work that we do.

As soon as I can get this fabric woven off, Hazle will have other work to do....with holidays, taxes, orders, life, it will probably be in a month or so. I began weaving on her again on a schedule about a week ago, and it's been such a delight. Sometimes we gravitate toward the work that will pay most quickly, but Hazle, with her sighing, has reminded me that there's more going on in this studio besides weaving and we must do what we love....too.

What's that saying?

"Do what you love and the money will follow....."

As always, while working diligently in this endorphine factory that only LOOKS like a weaving studio, I'm sending out Miles and Miles of Smiles,
Cat B.

No comments:

Post a Comment