The Weaver's Dance

On a loom that whispers, with shuttles that fly
And bobbins that chatter as the hours go by
I'll not lay in one thread of mere chance
As I work in the motion of the weaver's dance.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

For the International Quilt Festival in Houston....I'm on the verge of serge!

Okay, I've finally done it. You know that, in previous posts, I have written in detail about how I machine sew a zig-zag stitch into the cut edges of the fabrics and This-N-Thats and have done this for years now.

This is great preparation for the machine washing and drying process that I require to bring about maximum shrinkage of all of my cloth.

Insuring that my fabrics are truly READY to sew is very important to me and I hope that the effort gives my buyers confidence.

The first time I saw an edge of my handwoven fabric after it had been serged was many, many years ago and it looked just plain HORRIBLE. I have feared sergers ever since....yes, for all those years...because it was a professional who had done that serging, so I lacked the confidence that I could do better.

But all that has changed!!!

In fact, I now own and use a serger and here's some photos to show it!

This whole journey started when I decided to list my handwoven fabrics in a wonderful virtual stockroom for designers called Source4Style. I've mentioned it a few times here and am excited to be on this award-winning site. So, anyway, I needed to produce samples, which you know I have been quite resistant to do because of all that time needed cut and secure the edges of little samples that really end up being rather expensive....using the zig-zag stitch would have simply taken FOR--EV--ER!

But, I really wanted to give this concept a try, because the serging process is so much faster and I do have miles and miles of cut edges to secure on fabrics and This-N-Thats. So I took my hand woven fabrics into a wonderful New Mexico shop and said, "Sew THIS!" .....Well, the brand called "brother" that they showed me sped right through those fabrics like they were butter with a hot knife!

I got a detailed lesson which helped me understand the workings of the machine and I learned about adjusting the tension for each weight of fabric. Yes, the heavier ones like Desert Daze and the very light angelic ones like fabrics from Grace (picture above) all serge just fine! I have no doubt that one of my blankets from Doris would also work equally well! Fabrics from Hazle ....like the light-as-air Tencil and Silk (shown at this link....  http://marketplace.source4style.com/browse-marketplace/handwoven-tencil-silk.html ....) did purrrrfectly, too!

Well, I wanted to share the fact that, even if you have had a bad first experience... try, try again...

And don't take 30 years to try, either.....just saying....

Just goes to show ya'.....old cats CAN learn new tricks!

Better late than never, I'm sending out Miles and Miles of Smiles, Cat B.


No comments:

Post a Comment