The Weaver's Dance

On a loom that whispers, with shuttles that fly
And bobbins that chatter as the hours go by
I'll not lay in one thread of mere chance
As I work in the motion of the weaver's dance.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Simply de Vines"...now that Convergence is over....

I just have to share! I have worked so hard to get this fabric ready to go, weaving on it starting on January 9th of 2012, get it finished and photographed, putting a backing on it for better showing....but the whole time, I could not share a photo of it because it had not yet appeared in the "Longitude" exhibition at Convergence. But, now that Convergence is over....

HERE IT IS......................

Okay, so this is a close-up....but I LOVE this photo. This is what I was looking at for weeks and weeks while weaving it, so I am rather fond of the view!

Okay, okay, so here's a larger, overall view...remember it's called "Simply de Vines":

What do you think?

There is 4.5 yards of three enormous climbing vines, growing this way and that. And EACH flower took 27 yards of white rayon chenille!

The leaves are all individually cut commercial velvet fabric and hand-sewn on, one at a time....each vine was anchored down, too, but that doesn't show in the photo. The anchoring down process improved the look of the vines and gave them character...I need to get a photo of that once the fabrics arrive back in the studio.

I am so honored to have this fabric chosen for exhibition and the way it looked hanging was a real treat!

I plan to share several photos of the process of preparing this huge work for exhibition, but I have to re-size the photos and get them ready....that will be for another post.

Gosh, I guess I'm still on Cloud 9 about this piece....what shall be made of it...an opera coat? a wall hanging? pillow covers? It's definitely for sale at $1,800 as is, but, if no takers, it'll become something fabulous!

At a later post I will show the other fabric that was in the same exhibition....it was woven in my loom named Jimmy...have I ever told the story of Jimmy? Until then, keep weaving, keep trying, keep dreaming.

I'm sending out Miles and Miles of Smiles, Cat B.




2 comments:

  1. Cat - It is absolutely fabulous fabric. Part of me hopes that someone buys some yardage to see what someone else would do with it - then I also want to see what further work you would do. What creativity you show in the piece as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandra, This piece will not stay for long...I'm thinking Opera Coat!

    ReplyDelete