The Weaver's Dance

On a loom that whispers, with shuttles that fly
And bobbins that chatter as the hours go by
I'll not lay in one thread of mere chance
As I work in the motion of the weaver's dance.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rose Path Weaving and Other Adventures

I am back from a long journey through Texas on my way to CHT ~ Contemporary Handweavers of Texas which held their state-wide conference in College Station this past week.  But, on the way to be a vendor at that event, I stopped at Rose Path Weaving to visit one of the shops that my husband supplies with his weaving and spinning tools.  While there, I offered a 4-hour demo/workshop on Jim's Hokett Would Work Hand Looms to all comers.  What fun it was, and what a fun bunch of people!!!
The photo can't say it all, though, as it cannot show the wonderful atmosphere in there, the beautifully arranged stock, the knowledgeable brainpower in the place or the giving spirit of the people inside.  For that, I hope you will go visit in purrrrrrrrrrrson.  To visit on line check out www.rosepath.net and get an eye-full!  They offer classes and one is coming up on the Hokett Would Work Hand Loom, so you can learn all about weaving on these fantastic little looms.
Here is a close-up of my work "Tierra Persona" (Earth Person) which won first prize Fiber Arts Fiesta where I was also a vendor.  This piece took many, many hours to complete, holds sculpted fibers and threads of cottons, rayons & silks and cast fibers that were all combined by using collage, couching and beading with glass beads. I hoped it would sell for it's modest $695 price, but, regretfully, it did not.  It hangs again in my hallway where, I must admit, I would miss it if it sold.  My goal is to sell it someday.  I will begin another fiber art piece with my goal to enter it into the Mixed Media section of AFAF in 2013.  I wanted to show this close up because people who came by my booth said that the close-up just astounded them....if you will notice.... even the irises of the eyes and the lips are renditions of leaves.
Here is my booth at Contemporary Handweavers of Texas Conference in College Station.  I had some of the most wonderful neighbors at this event who made the experience much more FUN.  Peggy and Penny at SkyLoom Weavers (find them at www.skyloomweavers.com) brought such humor and help to all their customers and they are from Cat Spring, TX....now wouldn't I like to go THERE!?!?!  Chele at Fiberlady (find her at www.fiberlady.com) is so full of knowledge and works so hard at what she does!

This trip was tiring after having done a show the week before, but I will recover quickly because I HAVE ORDERS TO FILL!!!!!!!!!!!  With all my best wishes, I am sending Miles and Miles of Smiles, Cat B.

1 comment: